The elegant leaves in this photo frame have first been reduced to their skeletons. Then, each leaf is delicately hand pasted onto the frame before a red resin is painted as a varnish over them.
Fresh mahagony leaves
How do you make a leaf skeleton?
1. Add the leaves, ¾ cup washing soda and about 4 cups of water in a pot over the stove.
2. Let it come up to a boil.
3. Upon boiling, reduce and let it simmer for about an hour and forty five minutes. The soda will rise and crystalize on top. Keep adding water to the pot when needed. Never let it boil dry.
4. Take it out gently with a spatula and put it in a shallow dish of cold water. It will look like this.
5. With a stiff brush, gently brush away any remaining film coating the skeleton. Let it dry on some absorbent paper.
6. The completed leaf skeleton!